Skip to main content

Building Wine on Mac

The EVE launcher downloads a version of Wine that is built from CCP's own fork of Wine. This fork lives on GitHub at https://github.com/ccpgames/wine.git. If you want to build this version yourself, here are some instructions to get you started.

Wine has quite a few dependencies we have to fulfil before attempting to build. The first one is Xcode - if you don't have that already installed, get it from the App Store. Note that after installing Xcode you need to run it once to accept the license agreement before being able to use it in the build scripts later.

The other dependencies are easiest to get via brew - get it from brew.sh if you haven't already. Wine already exists as a brew recipe, and we can use that to pull down the dependencies.

First, though, we need to get XQuartz:
brew install Caskroom/cask/xquartz

Then to get Wine and its dependencies:
brew install --devel wine

This takes an hour or so, just so you know.

Now everything should be ready to get the Wine source from the repo. Create a directory to hold it and switch to it. Then clone the repo to the current directory with the following command:
git clone https://github.com/ccpgames/wine.git

Before building, you need to configure Wine. This is the command I use:
./configure CC="clang" CXX="clang++" CFLAGS="-std=gnu89 -g" prefix=<destination>

And finally you can build:

make

You can run Wine from the folder it just built in, or use make install to install it to the destination you gave when configuring (the prefix argument).

For more detailed information on building Wine, see http://wiki.winehq.org/MacOSX/Building and https://wiki.winehq.org/Building_Wine.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mnesia queries

I've added search and trim to my expiring records module in Erlang. This started out as an in-memory key/value store, that I then migrated over to using Mnesia and eventually to a replicated Mnesia table. The fetch/1 function is already doing a simple query, with match_object. Result=mnesia:match_object(expiring_records, #record{key=Key, value='_', expires_at='_'}, read) The three parameters there are the name of the table - expiring_records, the matching pattern and the lock type (read lock). The fetch/1 function looks up the key as it was added to the table with store/3. If the key is a tuple, we can also do a partial match: Result=mnesia:match_object(expiring_records, #record{key= {'_', "bongo"}, value='_', expires_at='_'}, read) I've added a search/1 function the module that takes in a matching pattern and returns a list of items where the key matches the pattern. Here's the test for the search/1 function: search_partial_…

Replicated Mnesia

I'm still working on my expiring records module in Erlang (see here and here for my previous posts on this). Previously, I had started using Mnesia, but only a RAM based table. I've now switched it over to a replicated disc based table. That was easy enough, but it took a while to figure out how to do, nonetheless. I had assumed that simply adding ... {disc_copies, [node()]} ... to the arguments to mnesia:create_table would be enough. This resulted in an error: {app_test,init_per_testcase, {{badmatch, {aborted, {bad_type,expiring_records,disc_copies,nonode@nohost}}}, ... After some head-scratching and lots of Googling I realized that I was missing a call to mnesia:create_schema to allow it to create disc based tables. My tests for this module are done with common_test so I set up a per suite initialization function like this: init_per_suite(Config) ->mnesia:create_schema([node()]), mnesia:start(…

Optimizing Wine on OS X

I've been doing some performance analysis of EVE running under Wine on OS X. My main test cases are a series of scenes run with the EVE Probe - our internal benchmarking tool. This is far more convenient than running the full EVE client, as it focuses purely on the graphics performance and does not require any user input.


Wine Staging One thing I tried was to build Wine Staging. On its own, that did not really change anything. Turning on CSMT, on the other hand, made quite a difference, taking the average frame time down by 30% for the test scene I used. While the performance boost was significant there were also significant glitches in the rendering, with parts of the scene flickering in and out. Too bad - it means I can't consider this yet for EVE, but I will monitor the progress of this. OpenGL Profiler Apple has the very useful OpenGL profiler available for download. I tried running one of the simpler scenes under the profiler to capture statistics on the OpenGL calls mad…