Skip to main content

Automating some AWS tasks

Managing and monitoring EC2 instances with the AWS console in browser is easy, but can involve a lot of clicking. Sometimes a command line is simply more efficient. The AWS CLI is great for managing EC2 instances and other stuff, but it can be annoying as most things need instance ids rather than human-friendly names. I've implemented some tools to simplify this by allowing me to reference things by their name.

These tools are implemented in Python, using boto3 and can be found on Github: https://github.com/ccpgames/aws-tools

Running bots for load testing is one example of a task where automation helps a great deal. I have scripts to create a number of machines, upload a tarball, extracting its contents and running a command. Once the command finishes the machines can be terminated.

I'm sometimes juggling a fair number of machines, and while each running instance is fairly cheap, things can add up, especially if I leave machines running idle just because I forgot to stop (or terminate) them. The list-machines script shows me a quick overview of all machines on my account.

I'll be adding tools to this collection as the need arises - feedback and contributions are welcome!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mnesia queries

I've added search and trim to my expiring records module in Erlang. This started out as an in-memory key/value store, that I then migrated over to using Mnesia and eventually to a replicated Mnesia table. The fetch/1 function is already doing a simple query, with match_object. Result=mnesia:match_object(expiring_records, #record{key=Key, value='_', expires_at='_'}, read) The three parameters there are the name of the table - expiring_records, the matching pattern and the lock type (read lock). The fetch/1 function looks up the key as it was added to the table with store/3. If the key is a tuple, we can also do a partial match: Result=mnesia:match_object(expiring_records, #record{key= {'_', "bongo"}, value='_', expires_at='_'}, read) I've added a search/1 function the module that takes in a matching pattern and returns a list of items where the key matches the pattern. Here's the test for the search/1 function: search_partial_…

Replicated Mnesia

I'm still working on my expiring records module in Erlang (see here and here for my previous posts on this). Previously, I had started using Mnesia, but only a RAM based table. I've now switched it over to a replicated disc based table. That was easy enough, but it took a while to figure out how to do, nonetheless. I had assumed that simply adding ... {disc_copies, [node()]} ... to the arguments to mnesia:create_table would be enough. This resulted in an error: {app_test,init_per_testcase, {{badmatch, {aborted, {bad_type,expiring_records,disc_copies,nonode@nohost}}}, ... After some head-scratching and lots of Googling I realized that I was missing a call to mnesia:create_schema to allow it to create disc based tables. My tests for this module are done with common_test so I set up a per suite initialization function like this: init_per_suite(Config) ->mnesia:create_schema([node()]), mnesia:start(…

Optimizing Wine on OS X

I've been doing some performance analysis of EVE running under Wine on OS X. My main test cases are a series of scenes run with the EVE Probe - our internal benchmarking tool. This is far more convenient than running the full EVE client, as it focuses purely on the graphics performance and does not require any user input.


Wine Staging One thing I tried was to build Wine Staging. On its own, that did not really change anything. Turning on CSMT, on the other hand, made quite a difference, taking the average frame time down by 30% for the test scene I used. While the performance boost was significant there were also significant glitches in the rendering, with parts of the scene flickering in and out. Too bad - it means I can't consider this yet for EVE, but I will monitor the progress of this. OpenGL Profiler Apple has the very useful OpenGL profiler available for download. I tried running one of the simpler scenes under the profiler to capture statistics on the OpenGL calls mad…