Skip to main content

Mnesia

Continuing with my expiring records module (see my previous blog), I've now switched it over to using Mnesia, rather than a dictionary object stored in the state of my gen_server instance.
It is still not a truly global, cross-node key/value store for expiring records, but it is getting there. I wanted to focus first on getting my tests to pass again with a RAM based table on one node. I just need to tweak the values passed in when creating the Mnesia table, I think, to make this work with a disc based table, replicated across nodes.
Currently the table is created like this:
prepare_table() ->
    case catch mnesia:table_info(expiring_records, attributes) of
        {'EXIT', _} ->
            %% Table does not exist - create it
            erlang:display("Creating table"),
            mnesia:create_table(
                expiring_records, [
                    {attributes, record_info(fields, record)},
                    {record_name, record}
                ]
            ),
            ok;
        _Attributes ->
            ok
    end,
    mnesia:wait_for_tables([expiring_records], infinite).
I've also cleaned up the API, wrapping the gen_server:call calls:
get_non_expired_record(_Config) ->
    ok = expiring_records:store("bingo", "bongo", erlang:system_time(second) + 3600),
    {ok, "bongo"} = expiring_records:fetch("bingo").

get_expired_record(_Config) ->
    ok = expiring_records:store("bingo", "bongo", erlang:system_time(second) + 1),
    timer:sleep(2000),
    not_found = expiring_records:fetch("bingo").
I've also broken the handle_call callback into multiple definitions rather than using a case statement:
handle_call({add, {Key, Value, ExpiresAt}}, _From, State) ->
    Trans = fun() ->
        Record = #record{key=Key, value=Value, expires_at = ExpiresAt},
        mnesia:write(expiring_records, Record, write)
    end,
    {atomic, ok} = mnesia:transaction(Trans),
    {reply, ok, State};

handle_call({fetch, Key}, _From, State) ->
    Trans = fun() ->
        Result = mnesia:match_object(expiring_records, #record{key = Key, value = '_', expires_at = '_'}, read),
        case Result of
            [{record, Key, Value, ExpiresAt}] ->
                Now = erlang:system_time(second),
                case Now < ExpiresAt of
                    true ->
                        {ok, Value};
                    _ ->
                        mnesia:delete(expiring_records, Key, write),
                        not_found
                end;
            [] ->
                not_found
        end
    end,
    {atomic, Result} = mnesia:transaction(Trans),
    {reply, Result, State};

handle_call(size, _From, State) ->
    Size = mnesia:table_info(expiring_records, size),
    {reply, Size, State};
This looks much better, and is getting closer to my intended functionality. My next session will focus on getting a disc based, replicated Mnesia table. Then I also need add to add trimming, to remove expired records from the table even if they aren't being looked up.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mnesia queries

I've added search and trim to my expiring records module in Erlang. This started out as an in-memory key/value store, that I then migrated over to using Mnesia and eventually to a replicated Mnesia table. The fetch/1 function is already doing a simple query, with match_object. Result=mnesia:match_object(expiring_records, #record{key=Key, value='_', expires_at='_'}, read) The three parameters there are the name of the table - expiring_records, the matching pattern and the lock type (read lock). The fetch/1 function looks up the key as it was added to the table with store/3. If the key is a tuple, we can also do a partial match: Result=mnesia:match_object(expiring_records, #record{key= {'_', "bongo"}, value='_', expires_at='_'}, read) I've added a search/1 function the module that takes in a matching pattern and returns a list of items where the key matches the pattern. Here's the test for the search/1 function: search_partial_…

Replicated Mnesia

I'm still working on my expiring records module in Erlang (see here and here for my previous posts on this). Previously, I had started using Mnesia, but only a RAM based table. I've now switched it over to a replicated disc based table. That was easy enough, but it took a while to figure out how to do, nonetheless. I had assumed that simply adding ... {disc_copies, [node()]} ... to the arguments to mnesia:create_table would be enough. This resulted in an error: {app_test,init_per_testcase, {{badmatch, {aborted, {bad_type,expiring_records,disc_copies,nonode@nohost}}}, ... After some head-scratching and lots of Googling I realized that I was missing a call to mnesia:create_schema to allow it to create disc based tables. My tests for this module are done with common_test so I set up a per suite initialization function like this: init_per_suite(Config) ->mnesia:create_schema([node()]), mnesia:start(…

Optimizing Wine on OS X

I've been doing some performance analysis of EVE running under Wine on OS X. My main test cases are a series of scenes run with the EVE Probe - our internal benchmarking tool. This is far more convenient than running the full EVE client, as it focuses purely on the graphics performance and does not require any user input.


Wine Staging One thing I tried was to build Wine Staging. On its own, that did not really change anything. Turning on CSMT, on the other hand, made quite a difference, taking the average frame time down by 30% for the test scene I used. While the performance boost was significant there were also significant glitches in the rendering, with parts of the scene flickering in and out. Too bad - it means I can't consider this yet for EVE, but I will monitor the progress of this. OpenGL Profiler Apple has the very useful OpenGL profiler available for download. I tried running one of the simpler scenes under the profiler to capture statistics on the OpenGL calls mad…