Skip to main content

More on JSON in Erlang

I've been digging deeper into my experiments with Erlang and have improved the JSON parser I discussed in a previous blog. The code lives at https://github.com/snorristurluson/erl-simple-json in case you want to take a look.
The project is now set up to take advantage of rebar3, the Erlang build system, and tests are run automatically on Travis CI. Thanks, Lou Xun!
The parser now does proper tokenizing, rather than the simple string split operations I did in my first pass. The parser itself is surprisingly simple when it's working with tokens - here it is in its entirety:
parse_json(Input) ->
    {Value, <<>>} = parse_json_value(Input),
    Value.

parse_json_value(Input) ->
    {Token, Rest} = tokens:tokenize(Input),
    case Token of
        open_brace ->
            populate_object(dict:new(), Rest);
        open_square_bracket ->
            populate_list([], Rest);
        {_, Value} ->
            {Value, Rest};
        Other ->
            {Other, Rest}
    end.

populate_object(Obj, Input) ->
    {Token, Rest} = tokens:tokenize(Input),
    case Token of
        close_brace ->
            {Obj, Rest};
        {qouted_string, Field} ->
            {colon, Rest2} = tokens:tokenize(Rest),
            {Value, Rest3} = parse_json_value(Rest2),
            Obj2 = dict:store(Field, Value, Obj),
            populate_object(Obj2, Rest3);
        comma ->
            populate_object(Obj, Rest)
    end.

populate_list(List, Input) ->
    {Token, Rest} = tokens:tokenize(Input),
    case Token of
        close_square_bracket ->
            {List, Rest};
        comma ->
            populate_list(List, Rest);
        open_brace ->
            {Obj, Rest2} = populate_object(dict:new(), Rest),
            populate_list(lists:append(List, [Obj]), Rest2);
        {_, Value} ->
            populate_list(lists:append(List, [Value]), Rest);
        Other ->
            populate_list(lists:append(List, [Other]), Rest)

    end.
This code handles the JSON snippets I've thrown at it so far, but I need to find a good source of JSON files to ensure it works on any valid JSON.
This project has proven to be a good way to gain some Erlang experience. It also fits really well for a TDD approach, which is always fun. I'm still struggling with how to apply TDD on a daily basis, working in a large (and old) codebase. Starting with a clean slate, on a small project, TDD is a no-brainer.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mnesia queries

I've added search and trim to my expiring records module in Erlang. This started out as an in-memory key/value store, that I then migrated over to using Mnesia and eventually to a replicated Mnesia table. The fetch/1 function is already doing a simple query, with match_object. Result=mnesia:match_object(expiring_records, #record{key=Key, value='_', expires_at='_'}, read) The three parameters there are the name of the table - expiring_records, the matching pattern and the lock type (read lock). The fetch/1 function looks up the key as it was added to the table with store/3. If the key is a tuple, we can also do a partial match: Result=mnesia:match_object(expiring_records, #record{key= {'_', "bongo"}, value='_', expires_at='_'}, read) I've added a search/1 function the module that takes in a matching pattern and returns a list of items where the key matches the pattern. Here's the test for the search/1 function: search_partial_…

Replicated Mnesia

I'm still working on my expiring records module in Erlang (see here and here for my previous posts on this). Previously, I had started using Mnesia, but only a RAM based table. I've now switched it over to a replicated disc based table. That was easy enough, but it took a while to figure out how to do, nonetheless. I had assumed that simply adding ... {disc_copies, [node()]} ... to the arguments to mnesia:create_table would be enough. This resulted in an error: {app_test,init_per_testcase, {{badmatch, {aborted, {bad_type,expiring_records,disc_copies,nonode@nohost}}}, ... After some head-scratching and lots of Googling I realized that I was missing a call to mnesia:create_schema to allow it to create disc based tables. My tests for this module are done with common_test so I set up a per suite initialization function like this: init_per_suite(Config) ->mnesia:create_schema([node()]), mnesia:start(…

Optimizing Wine on OS X

I've been doing some performance analysis of EVE running under Wine on OS X. My main test cases are a series of scenes run with the EVE Probe - our internal benchmarking tool. This is far more convenient than running the full EVE client, as it focuses purely on the graphics performance and does not require any user input.


Wine Staging One thing I tried was to build Wine Staging. On its own, that did not really change anything. Turning on CSMT, on the other hand, made quite a difference, taking the average frame time down by 30% for the test scene I used. While the performance boost was significant there were also significant glitches in the rendering, with parts of the scene flickering in and out. Too bad - it means I can't consider this yet for EVE, but I will monitor the progress of this. OpenGL Profiler Apple has the very useful OpenGL profiler available for download. I tried running one of the simpler scenes under the profiler to capture statistics on the OpenGL calls mad…